As summer arrives and the days become longer, many pool owners face the challenge of how to store their pool covers. Although it’s tempting to simply fold it up and tuck it away, a proper storage approach can make a significant difference in the lifespan of your cover. Ensuring you know how to fold a pool cover for storage and the best maintenance practices can protect your investment and ensure it remains functional for years to come. Before we delve into proper pool cover storage ideas, here’s a look into why it’s important:
Why Proper Storage Matters
Many pool owners underestimate the importance of proper pool cover storage. Over time, exposure to UV rays, harsh chemicals, and various environmental factors can degrade the material of your pool cover. Folded improperly or stored carelessly, it can develop creases, tears, or even mold. Proper storage not only maintains the structural integrity of your cover but also ensures that it remains effective in keeping your pool clean and safe.
Selecting the Ideal Location for Storage
Location matters! Pool cover storage should be in a place that’s cool, dry, and out of direct sunlight. Direct sunlight can damage the pool cover due to UV radiation. Areas like a garage, shed, or a basement can be ideal. It’s essential to ensure that the chosen spot is free from pests like rats or insects, which can chew through or damage the cover.
Preparation Before Storage
Before stashing it away, ensure that the pool cover is clean and dry. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Cleaning: Use a soft brush to sweep away any leaves, dirt, or debris. Then, wash the cover with mild soap and water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive brushes, as they can damage the material.
- Drying: Spread out the pool cover in a shaded area, preferably outdoors where there’s a gentle breeze. Ensure it’s fully dry before storage to prevent mold or mildew.
- Inspection: Before storing, inspect the pool cover for any signs of damage or wear. Address minor repairs immediately to prevent them from worsening over time.
How to Fold a Pool Cover for Storage
Folding your pool cover correctly is crucial. Here’s how:
- Lay Flat: Spread out the pool cover on a clean surface.
- Fold Lengthwise: Begin by folding the cover in half, lengthwise. Smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles.
- Fold Again: Depending on the size of your cover, you may need to fold it lengthwise again.
- Roll or Fold: From one end, start rolling or folding the cover neatly. Ensure that it’s tight and compact, making it easier for storage.
- Secure: Use straps or ropes to secure the rolled or folded cover, ensuring it doesn’t unravel during storage.
Regularly Check on Your Stored Pool Cover
Even during storage, it’s a good idea to occasionally inspect your pool cover. This allows you to spot any potential issues like mold growth or pest infestation early on. Additionally, it’s wise to refold the cover differently every few months to prevent permanent creases or stress points.
The Value of Caring for Your Pool Cover
A well-maintained pool cover can serve you for many summers. By implementing these pool cover storage ideas and ensuring proper care, you’re not just protecting your cover but also ensuring the safety and cleanliness of your pool. Remember, a little effort in storage and maintenance can save you time, money, and potential headaches in the long run.